14 Reasons Why Superior Web Presence is Critical for Local Business Survival
Consumers are using multiple internet equipped devices more frequently everyday to search for local businesses…then to research & review them also. SMBs (small business owners) who don’t capitalize on this increasing trend by having a useful & professional website, monitoring their online reputation, or communicating with consumers online, can easily get left behind their competition.
Convincing SMBs about the merits of local search isn’t always the easiest task to achieve. The good news…there’s a ton of supporting data which make the case for investing in online (almost) impossible to argue against. In fact there are almost too many great stats than can end up over whelming business owners. Information overload can be counter productive, so choosing a handful of your favorite points might be helpful.
Fact #1: Local Consumers Rely on the Internet
- 97% of consumers use internet when researching local products/services (BIA/Kelsey)
- 54 percent of Americans have substituted the Internet and local search for phone books (com Score)
Fact 2: More Users = More Searches = More Potential Customers!
- 140 billion local searches (on desktop & mobile) expected in 2014 (BIA/Kelsey Local Commerce Monitor (LCM) Survey, Wave 16, November 2012)
- 95% of smartphone users have looked for local information (Source: The Mobile Movement Study, Google/Ipsos OTX MediaCT , Apr 2011)
Fact 3: Having a website is essential, but it’s just a start
- 36% of respondents say that a clear & smart website gives a local business more credibility (BrightLocal Local business websites survey, January 2014)
- 32% of consumers are more likely to contact a local business if they have a website (BrightLocal Local business websites survey, January 2014)
Fact 4: It’s crucial to be visible & prominent on the web
- 98% of searchers choose a business that is on page 1 of the results they get.
Fact5: Your Reputation Matters!
- 88% of consumers consult online reviews before they purchase local services (BrightLocal , Local Consumer Review Survey 2014)
FACT 6: Consumers trust what they read online
- 88% of consumers trust online reviews as much as personal recommendations (BrightLocal , Local Consumer Review Survey 2014)
FACT 7: Consumers make quick decisions about who to use
- 77% of smart phone users contact a business after looking for local Information (Source: The Mobile Movement Study, Google/Ipsos OTX MediaCT , Apr 2011)
- 59% of mobile users who look for local information visit the business on same day (Source: The Mobile Movement Study, Google/Ipsos OTX MediaCT , Apr 2011)
FACT 8: Even your existing customers are looking for you online
- No 1 reason for doing an online search is to find the location for a ‘known’ business (comScore, Neustar Localeze, 15 Miles – Local Search Study 2014)
FACT 9: Your customers are social & so are your competitors
- 72 percent of SMBs are using social media to promote their businesses (BIA/Kelsey Local Commerce Monitor (LCM) Survey Q3, 2013)
- Seven out of ten consumers are more likely to use a local business if it has information available on a social media site (comScore Networks/TMP Directional Marketing)